Dunholme Village

Our Village
Home
Our Village
News and Events
Notices
Parish Council
Council Minutes
Schools & Education
Churches & Religion
Community Centres & Club News
Public Services
Sports & Social
Dunholme News
Event Reports
Future Developments
In the Past

Dunholme village is a small village in Lincolnshire.  It has approximately 2000 residents. Although quite old the village has very little historic buildings remaining, the oldest being the church although some houses around the church go back to the 17th and 18th century.  Most of the housing has been built since the the 1950's with many in the last 20 years. Although only five miles from Lincoln City the village has many facilities and services.  In the centre of the village there is a Spar shop for groceries, newspapers and general household items.  There is also a Post Office within the shop dealing not only with savings, bill payments and letters but parcels as well.  Next to the shop is a hairdressers and across the road and further along Market Rasen Road is the Lord Nelson Public House, which is currently closed and scheduled to be redeveloped subject to planning into a COOP store. There is a Junior School, St Chads, and a Secondary School, William Farr C of E Comprehensive, which, although it has a Welton Post Code,  geographically it is in Dunholme. Dunholme has a village hall and a community centre supported by many thriving community activities and organisations. The sporting facilities are the envy of most other communities in that Dunholme has a five rink indoor bowls centre and an outdoor bowling green. It also has tennis courts and a football pitch. All owned by the Parish Council.
Dunholme is close to the village of Welton-by-Lincoln and some of the services in Welton such as the Health Centre and Library are used by both villages.
 

Villagesign3.jpg

 Village Sign

The Dunholme Parish Council have now chosen the design for the Dunholme Village Sign. The concept of the sign is based on a shield and incorporates: The green diagonal line represents the A46 trunk road that runs through the Parish. It’s green as that is the colour for trunk roads in a standard road map. The wavy diagonal line is for the beck that runs through the village. The top quadrant shows the rural farming locality of the village.The bottom quadrant is for the Dunholme Lodge airfield used by Lancaster's during the Second World War.The left quadrant is the cross of St Chad the patron saint of the Parish church.The right quadrant represents the Monks Wood in the Ashing Lane Nature Reserve and the Pickering meadow also in Ashing Lane. The whole is centered by a Bishops Mitre Indicating the Bishop of Lincoln is still the Ancient Lord of the Manor. 

It is located on the grass verge opposite the Spar shop.

For more information on Welton Village click here

Local Schools

20.jpg

The Beck Bridge

Right:- View showing the little foot bridge to the church from Market Rasen Road. Beyond that there is another bridge for the main road (the old A46). The green and the war memorial can be seen centre right.
 
 

stchads.jpg

 
 
The Village Shop and Post Office

Our village shop is a Spar and is laid out like a mini market.  A wide selection of food products can be obtained as well as stationery, cards, gifts, papers and magazines, wines and spirits and some household products.
 
 

doscthrugates.JPG

The Dunholme Old School Community Centre (Above)
 
This used to be the village junior school up till 1984 when a new school was built on Ryland Road.
It is now used as a community centre holding a variety of village activities.
Age Concern Luncheon Club
Dunholme Camera Club
Meet a Mum & Toddlers group
Whist and Bingo.
Dance Classes
Adult Education Classes
Sports meeting.
Community Meetings
Private Parties

HOUSING

Dunholme has a wide range of housing from those run by ACIS on behalf of the local authority of West Lindsey to larger 4 or 5 bedroomed properties and farm houses.  The majority of housing in Dunholme are occupier owned.  In the last 20 years a masive expansion in housing has taken place whereby over 250 additional houses have been build. This has virtually doubled the population of the village.  The demand for housing in the community is partly caused by the quality of life within the village and the good results that the local schools acheive over the years.
 
 
 

oak-drive.jpg
Oak Drive - built about 10 years ago

greenlane2.JPG
Wood Lane between the beck and Holmes Lane

lincoln-road1.jpg
Lincoln Road

beck1.jpg
The beck at the back of the Old Vicarage

The Village Green

Left:-  Certainly not big enough to play cricket on but big enough for the village war memorial.  Forming between a triangular road system of Market Rasen Road and Ashing Lane. 
 

p4100055.jpg

The Parish Church
 
Left is the Parish church of Saint Chad's looking up Holmes Lane from Market Rasen Road. The Nave and the Tower were built in the Early English style (13th century). In the nave no two pillars are exactly alike.  They are decorated with small bosses or corbels with wavy radiating lines, thought to be of oriental and probably solor in origin.
The tower is quite plain and originally have three bells, two of which were re-cast in 1907.  By 1910 three further bells were added.

thesparshop.jpg

Dunholme Village Hall (Below)
Dunholme village hall is situated on Honeyholes Lane.  It is within a complex being attached to the 5 rink indoor bowls hall and beside the tennis courts and the outdoor bowling green. Within the grounds is a football pitch and a play area for children.  A sports pavilion which includes changing and washing facilities for each of the sports.
The village hall has a main room that can seat over 260 with a smaller room, the Jubilee room, can seat up to 100.  The hall has its own bar and lounge area and a fully equiped kitchen which inludes cutlery and crockery.
There are toilet facilities, inluding the disabled in the main hall and separate toilet facilities in the Jubilee room.
The village hall is run by a management committee that has charitable status.

VHEntrance.jpg
Dunholme Village Hall

web-allwood2.jpg
Allwood Road Housing - Council Built but now many are privately owned

merleswen.jpg
Merleswen together with The Granthams , Anderson, Kneeland, and Paynell all built in the 50's

becklane.jpg
Beck Lane joining Market Rasen Road and Ashing Lane

scothern-lnjtn.jpg
Scothern Lane leading into the village off the A46 Trunk Road

beckfromwl.jpg
The beck crossing Watery Lane

THE STORY OF THE DUNHOLME SPRING

the-spring.jpg

(First published in the Dunholme News, May 1990 by the late T R Leach)

It was agreed ‘that workmen be at once employed (under proper superintendence) to bore for water and make apparatus or a well for supply of same on property belonging to the Parish and allowed for this purpose, which is situate within reasonable and accessible distance of all the respective houses of the parties and that the said George Vickers (party hereto) be and is hereby appointed such superintendent and to give all proper orders and pay wages and other necessary expenses appertaining thereto.

George Vickers kept a record of the boring: “Boring for Water at Dunholme Site chosen by Faith Taken in hand by Mr. George Vickers of Dunholme (assisted by Mr. Alfred Storr of Welton who provided the boring apparatus and worked with the help of the said George Vickers from February 8th 1892 to April 8th 1892. 102 feet of boring necessary before water was reached. Kinds of sub soil etc bored through as follows: 5 feet of stone and sand, 10 feet of gravel, 6 feet of clay, 5 feet of hard flint rock, 29 feet of clay, 6 feet hard rock, 16 feet softer rock, 6 feet clay, 5 feet hard flint rock, 9 feet clay, 6 feet sandstone, 5 feet sand, 2 feet rock limestone.  Total 102 feet overflow top amid great rejoicing”.

When water was reached it shot up to a great height — my grandfather was present and said it seemed as high as the church tower.  The force of water was certainly very strong, and in 1904 the bore produced 20,000 gallons of water a day.  The spring made a considerable noise and in the First World War boards were placed in the tank to muffle it lest German Zeppelins should hear it!  It soon became a familiar landmark and does not appear to have existed for long before it gained a reputation as a cure for rheumatism, eye troubles and a multitude of other ailments.  It was surmounted by an elaborate construction of wood and bark.  The water flowed into a tank and an overflow pipe took the surplus water to the beck. 

The value the people of Dunholme placed on their spring was tested many years later in 1937 when it was feared that the Welton Rural District Council, who had recently installed water mains to supply the village, decided that the spring water was going to waste and should he piped to the main supply.  Despite the mains supply, Dunholme people continued to drink the water from the spring, and in the 1960’s several households used it regularly.  When the controversy was at its height a public meeting was held at which the villagers decided to fight the R.D.C. to what the newspapers called ‘the bitter end’.  One resident declared that “A finer drinking water is not to be found anywhere else.  Further than that, the water from this spring has valuable medicinal properties which are well known and that, to my mind, now that we have the other water, is the chief factor for keeping this spring open”.  He added that only a day or two previously a Lincoln doctor had sent a boy to bathe his eyes at the spring.  “I am convinced”, he said “that if anybody who suffers from gallstones will drink this water, the stones will be dissolved.  You cannot do away with a spring like that”.